Some links that may be especially useful:
- BitTorrent 101, including some seeding discussion. There's also related information such as file formats, etc., so it might be useful for other questions as well.
- Use Trader's Little Helper for flac and shn; or flac frontend for flac and mkwACT for shn. dBpowerAmp will handle flac, shn and mp3 if you download the extra "codecs" for the different formats; some people like it, some find it cumbersome.
- GrabIt for downloading from ABMS, with some tutorials
- QuickPar software download and tutorials, if you're trying to use par2 files from ABMS
- etree wiki and etree software, for info on audio, flac, etc.
SPL does not support the copying of officially released material (by any artist). Please do not post links or information which might allow or encourage copying such material. Please do not circulate copies of such material at sites posted here or in the alt.binaries.music.springsteen newsgroup.
- Please don't make requests for new recordings before they have even entered circulation. They will all come in time, and posting a request will NOT speed up the tapers in any way.
- See brucedvds.com for info on which shows and versions are available on DVD, and the quality.
- Stone Pony London - Tours and Setlists
- BrainsTheyRattle's Catalog of Audio Recordings for the Devils & Dust Tour and for The Rising Tour.
- Rich Breton's Brucelegs Discography, Poll Results, and Main Page - setlists, ratings, lists of best boots through 1999
- Flynn's The Boots - Top 55 Shows
- Brucebase - setlists of every show
- The Promise - in-depth reviews of bootlegs
- Killing Floor - setlists, lyrics and studio sessions
- If you collect official releases, Lost In The Flood has the details for releases around the world. So it's the place to look for things like the Uruguayan vinyl releases for Born In the USA ...
- See the Artwork Forum for current links. A Search may also turn up what you're looking for.
- John Joyce's How to Find, Save & Print Artwork (CDR and DVD)
- Usual Suspect's widely-acclaimed Springsteen Artwork Index lets you find sites with artwork by looking up a show by date.
- Download artwork at the SPL Artwork Site, gchord's Artwork Site, Sc?re-Pi?n's Realm, and the Rising Tour Artwork by Loose Ends.
- John Joyce's Artwork Links and Frazier's Artwork Links
- Badlands (Italy), particularly for VCD/DVD artwork. (Use the links at the left side.)
- dvdrhelp.com has lots of info on DVDs, (S)VCDs, players, creating video and all things video
- The Boots - Introduction to CDR Trading
- Making A Tradelist - what info to include in your list of boots
- Questions you may have might be covered in The Official Alt.Music.Bootlegs FAQ, or the Smashing Pumpkins Fans Trading FAQ
- Find A Firewall That Fits
- Fat Wallet, AnandTech Hot Deals Forum, techbargains - Search here if you are in the market for computer stuff
- For audio, WinAmp can be used to play mp3, shn and flac files (without decoding to wav). You need the ShnAmp or FLAC plugins.
- For video, look at the folders on a video disc to tell whether it is VCD or SVCD. The video on VCDs (MPEG1 format) can be played with Windows Media Player. The video on SVCDs (MPEG2 format) can be played with DVD software or with VideoLan Client (free, all OS platforms). Open the program, then open the video (DAT or MPG) files in the MPEG folder on the disc. VideoLan can also play directly from a bin file.
Old FAQ - this might still be useful to give you the general idea, even though the links to threads don't work:
TRADING, TREES AND VINES
You can sign up to get discs by mail via the trees and vines here at SPL:
- See the Vine, trees and trading starter guide for an introduction to sharing by mail.
- With a vine, you copy the discs and send along the originals to the next person. Audio CD Vines share shows burned as CD audio. The SHN/FLAC Vines circulate lossless compressed audio files, a more reliable approach to getting a high-quality copy. That forum also has Video Vines.
- In a tree, a "branch" makes multiple copies for other members, each of which makes more copies, and so on. See the Bootleg Audio/Video Trees forum.
- Making A Tradelist - what info to include in your list of boots
- The Requests and Trades forum is the place to post requests, and to look for trades, B&P and freebies.
- For an Introduction to Downloading as well as links and info on how to download audio and video, see the DOWNLOADING - Links and Info thread.
- For links and info on how to upload audio and video, see the UPLOADING - Links and Info thread.
- For more information or other questions, note that the Downloading and Uploading forum is for questions and answers. The Community ABMS/BT/FTP/DC Information forum is used for discussion of currently posted shows.
It's very important to rip and burn CD Audio, DVDs and (S)VCDs carefully, or you may create or pass along a bad copy.
- DVD's are the hot topic these days. A few of the usual troublemakers have set up a new site with reviews and info - brucedvds.com. If you're looking for info on which shows and versions are available, and the quality, check out the site.
- For more technical info on DVDs, see Buying a DVD Burner and Ripping and Burning DVDs - An Overview. For basic info, see this DVD FAQ. Also, dvdrhelp.com has lots of info as well as how-to guides for all aspects of DVD, VCD and video
- BURNING CDs, DVDs, and VCDs - Links is the place to start if you are looking for information on ripping and burning audio or video discs.
- For more information or questions, see the Burning CDs, DVDs and VCDs Forum
- See the ABMS FAQ for an overview of most file formats used here, including rar, par, shn, flac, bin, and cue.
- par2 is a new, improved version of the magic parity archive system for recovering files on ABMS.
- SHN Links and Info - A well established lossless audio compression format used by many bootleg collectors. Available for PC, Mac and 'nix.
- FLAC - An increasingly popular lossless audio compression format, under active development. Available for PC, Mac OS X and 'nix.
- For a discussion of the issues around lossless formats (shn, flac) or lossy (mp3), see Is Shn For Me?, also known as the MP3 vs. SHN debate.
- The LAME Encoder with a Variable Bit Rate setting will give you the best quality MP3s for a given file size.
- Search the MP3, SHN, FLAC and Other File Formats Forum
- For info on uploading shows - posting to ABMS, starting your own FTP server - see the UPLOADING - Links and Info thread.
- Advanced SHN Topics
- Automatically Naming and Tagging Files with EAC
- "Remasters" Bite
- If you're new here, see Got a question? Got an answer? New here?, especially the bottom part under New here?
- A variety of Mac Links and Info on all topics are collected in one thread, for the convenience of Mac users.
- SPL's own Oats got to see his daughter Ally do the Courtney Cox role during Dancin' In The Dark at the 8/28 Giants Stadium show - read the story as told by the proud Dad, Oats, and Uncle Eugene .
- Pearse Guina RIP - a longtime fan known to many at SPL and elsewhere
- Brad Lockard, 1977-2003
- ?Drinkin? warm beer in the soft summer rain? - Skipjack's adventure in Brussels, 2003
- Five Dumbest Things You've Ever Done
- Open All Night, an unauthorized history of the Stone Pony London, and the History of the Stone Pony London server - lost but not forgotten