Skip to main content

OK, let's get some bashing going on here...

I listened this morning to the 1993-05-07 Gijon Show. Although I am not a particular fan of this period, and I hardly listen to any show of these 2 years I do like the energy coming from this boot.

As I was only 4 years old when the tour started and probably only heard Bruce when my parents had the radio on in the car, can anyone tell me what the reaction at the time was? Of course we all now that the drummer, Zach Alford was never even close to the quality of Max. Was that obvious at the time during the shows? I also heard stories that one of the guitar players often looked at his watch (particulary in Rotterdam 1993) to see how much longer he had to play...Which led to some reaction by Bruce...

I have to say I'm not really fond of the 2 albums either. Some songs are OK, but the performances on the tour, with just Bruce and Roy are the real highlight for me when listening to the shows. The band plays ok IMHO, but that's probably because a lot of the setlist comes from the 2 albums. BTR sounds really flat on every boot I've listened to.

Any opinions? Have to say I do like the "Across The Borderline" from the Gijon show with one verse in spanish.

Dennis
...it pointed down this little dirt road that said ?Thunder Road'
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Disliked the albums (he possibly could have made 1 half decent one by combing them), The shows were, well, ok, but not really that good.
However, like the GOTJ tour I really enjoy some of the boots.

=============================================================

Someday's you're the statue, someday's the pigeon.

I saw some of the US tour in '92 in Jersey. The music was horrible and we all cheered like it was Christmas morning. Nobody cared, because the Messiah had returned from a 4 year hiatus. The E Street Band was terribly missed.

I saw two shows in Europe the following summer - both outdoor. It was a love fest. And the music was still horrible. I thought Bruce's voice was horrible - gutteral. The 5 back up singers, though I'm sure wonderful in their own right, were horribly mixed to the point where it sounded like cats being slaughtered.

Sting left a great band once and then went solo with a band of incredible musicians; some of the very best at what they do. Bruce, on the other hand, went down to Bourbon Street and found whoever happened to need a job at the time.

Bottom line - it was the Bermuda Triangle.

1) average band/average musicians
2) mediocre to bad songs
3) a desparate attempt to NOT be one of the greatest bands on the planet

Like Kev, some of the boots are good, and there are some stinkers.

As for the shows, Wembley 92 wasn't too bad, but Milton Keynes '93 really was well below-average as I remember it - problem is, my missus loves the official "Unplugged" CD/DVD show with a passion, and keeps wondering why he doesn't play more of those songs. Any suggestions ?

Still got a soft spot for his cover of "Across The Borderline", and let's not forget the "Billy Bragg" style "Dancing In The Dark", thought . . . for the uninitiated, see CC's "Wembley Night" for details.

Dave

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain . .

Link copied to your clipboard.