Skip to main content

Originally Posted By: DenverBrian
The sad thing is that the government is making more on gas than the oil companies. Apparently the oil companies make abot 4 cents per gallon while the government (especially the ones that chage a %) are makign a killing. No wonder congress isn't going to do a damn thing about it.

In Maryland, 42 cents per gallon is going to federal and mostly state government.

Are you as stupid as you sound? How does Exxon report billions of dollars in PROFIT @ 4 cents per gallon? They are laughing all the way to the bank. The oil companies made money when oil was $15/barrel; I believe you meant the GAS STATIONS make 4 cents/gallon.
Originally Posted By: DenverBrian
The sad thing is that the government is making more on gas than the oil companies. Apparently the oil companies make abot 4 cents per gallon while the government (especially the ones that chage a %) are makign a killing. No wonder congress isn't going to do a damn thing about it.

In Maryland, 42 cents per gallon is going to federal and mostly state government.

excuse me, aren't the BUSH'S into oil?
the gov? of course it is, where you been?
i say george and osama are partners. lol.
Bush wants to open the coasts to drilling.

McCain wants what Bush wants.

Stupid and insane.

It would take at least 8-10 years for production to begin and yield would be 1-1.5% of the nations supply so this would lower cost to you and me very little. OPEC would probably be able to close the spigot on their end to offset the increase on our side so you end up in the same place. US News and World

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→←←←←←←←←←←←←←←

In the basement at St. Johns well I found her where she fell

Just another busted sister of Heartbreak Hotel

The off shore drilling legislation is a presidental act so W can just remove it as president anytime he wants so this BS about congress standing in the way of lower gas prices is more "jawboning".

I guess the emergency meeting by OPEC wasn't successful as only the Saudi's agreed to increase production.

Here comes $4.50/gallon by Independance Day.

Quote:
The off shore drilling legislation is a presidental act so W can just remove it as president anytime he wants so this BS about congress standing in the way of lower gas prices is more "jawboning".

Straight from the Democratic talking points from this past weekend.
Yes he could do one of those Presidentail power thingys but then the enviromental extremist would take it to court and the battle would last for years. If Congress did what it should be doing and then the President signs the bill it would take about 3 or 4 weeks to do. Which would be better?
Originally Posted By: jwelsh
Quote:

Straight from the Democratic talking points from this past weekend.
Yes he could do one of those Presidentail power thingys but then the enviromental extremist would take it to court and the battle would last for years. If Congress did what it should be doing and then the President signs the bill it would take about 3 or 4 weeks to do. Which would be better?

Join a carpool, form a rideshare, ride your bicycle or ride transit and put the $$ you save each day into your bank account cause drilling ain't going to bring prices down.

Maybe it will and maybe it won't but I want to drill so that we stop sending our money to the Middle East. One would think that every American would agree with that.

If you want to stop sending $$ to the Middle East then stop the war, stop buying gas, stop sending any $$ in foreign aid to any country (including Isreal) and make a few sacrifices.

Originally Posted By: DirtDiablo
Maybe it will and maybe it won't but I want to drill so that we stop sending our money to the Middle East. One would think that every American would agree with that.

If you want to stop sending $$ to the Middle East then stop the war, stop buying gas, stop sending any $$ in foreign aid to any country (including Isreal) and make a few sacrifices.

Dude I need to buy gas so I can show up to work. I work so I can feed myself and put a roof over my head. I need my truck at work unless you can find me some mass transit that drives past the Home Depot and is willing to wait for me to load up 20 pieces of sheetrock or a hot water boiler. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT DRILLING FOR OUR OWN OIL? Do you have something against putting tens of thousands of Americans to work? Do you have something against cutting into the trade deficit? How bout helping the dollar get stronger. Do you have something against that also?
Originally Posted By: DirtDiablo

Dude I need to buy gas so I can show up to work. I work so I can feed myself and put a roof over my head. I need my truck at work unless you can find me some mass transit that drives past the Home Depot and is willing to wait for me to load up 20 pieces of sheetrock or a hot water boiler. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT DRILLING FOR OUR OWN OIL? Do you have something against putting tens of thousands of Americans to work? Do you have something against cutting into the trade deficit? How bout helping the dollar get stronger. Do you have something against that also?

Dude you can write off your mileage at tax time then if you use your truck for work so it shouldn't matter how high gas gets.

Drilling for oil will not put 10's of 1000's to work.

There are other ways to cut into the trade deficit such as stop farm subsidies and curbing senseless consumerism? Aren't we sinking 3 trillion/month to secure additional oil fields in Iraq?

The oil companies have 100's of acres of domestic leased fields that they are not using. Why are you such a patsy for the oil companies who are making billions?

So I can write off my gas expenses if I choose to do that . Big deal. I still have to drive back and forth to work. That I can't write off. If I feel like heading down to Philly to see a show I can't write that off. Whats the point?

Drilling will put tens of thousands of Americans to work. You need to reopen the steel mills to build the equipiment, pipelines and drills need to be assembled, housing needs to be built in Alsaka, resturants and stores will need to be opened. Ect ect. It takes a long time to get it going for a reason.

No we aren't sinking 3 trillion per month to secure Iraq's oil fields.

Why aren't they using those fields? Is there oil in them? How much oil is there? Is it worth the investment to get to the oil?Is it easy to get to? Not all oil is easy to get to. Whats wrong with companies making money? What profit do you think most companies strive to achieve?

Jim Cramer was screaming the other day on MSNBC that the rest of the world uses our oil drilling technology, but we don't to explore in all kinds of sensitive environmental places and that technology has improved so much as to make risk very small.

Can anyone vouch for that?

I hear what DD is saying about all the land already available and is the land still at low royalty rates?
The steel mills are not going to reopen, there is a reason most of Alaska is undeveloped.

Exxon just got the Valdez oil spill fine reduced? Why is that? Who is fooling who? Ruling

So your thinking this is our solution?

When the oil spill occurs in your town or the nuclear waste is buried by your house then I will vote for it.

I've already told you I'm against nuclear until they can get rid of the waste safely. My land doesn't have oil in it. Wish it did.

Its ok sometimes to admit that you have no idea what it will take to get America off of foreign oil. To just make up silly answers kinda defeats any rational argument that may be out there.
Agreed are we willing to reduce our demand by making some life changes or just continue whining why we can't afford to put food on the table and own 3 SUVs.

Filibuster. People who own 3 SUVs aren't whining about putting food on the table.

This is about freedom. We should have the freedom to explore, develop, extract, refine, buy, sell oil freely. Government should regulate, not prohibit, the exploration, development etc...

Exxon is not the enemy. Your Congress is (they make more per gallon...when are we going to tax congress?). The percentage of the world oil market that "Big Oil" controls is tiny. If you want someone to blame, blame the nationalized oil companies. Exxon is a midget in comparison.
Good point. But I think US is still large % of world wide oil use. Although China has more people, they use a lot less oil per person than we do. Large numbers still live out in the middle of nowhere, in huts, but that will change.

But supply is probably the answer.

Welcome back Julius. Are you going to rejoin us in politics thread as well?
Originally Posted By: quante
Good point. But I think US is still large % of world wide oil use. Although China has more people, they use a lot less oil per person than we do. Large numbers still live out in the middle of nowhere, in huts, but that will change.

But supply is probably the answer.

Welcome back Julius. Are you going to rejoin us in politics thread as well?

US effect on growing demand is minimal compared to the effect that China and India are having. In other words, we're using today pretty much what we were using yesterday. But the Chinese aren't. And that's fine. Let them use it. Grow grow grow. Big economies are good. Poor people make rich dictators. Burn every fossile fuel we can get our hands on. Nuke the whales. Screw the snails. And burn down the owls' trees. Within limits, of course. The market is our savior. Is Algore still wasting electricity at a record pace? I haven't read a newspaper in a few days.

Link copied to your clipboard.