Skip to main content

After a few wimpers on other threads it seems everyone is content to just take the "There is nothing I can do" attitude.

Hey the truckers in France are blockading the roads in response to 11-12 euros / litre.

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→←←←←←←←←←←←←←←

In the basement at St. Johns well I found her where she fell

Just another busted sister of Heartbreak Hotel

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I quit my job last July, moved to Colorado and now consult out of the house. Most clients require one initial meeting and then mostly email communication and phone. Ride my bike, run or walk whenever I can. Now that the warm weather is here my girlfriend and I ride out bikes to her job abut 13 miles each way as my T/Th morning workout. Drive her to/from the bus stop in town on M,W & F on my way to my morning training trail run.

Considering buying an electric scooter for short errands.

Some major life changes but it is a better way of life. Set my own schedule, salary, and vacation time.

This has put a hurt on our vacation plans. We are flying to Colorado out of Philly since it is $75 cheaper per ticket (x4) but still almost $100 more a ticket than we are used to paying. Rental cars are more expensive as well.

Kind of a bummer, but we will still have lots of fun.

01000111 01101111 00100000 01000011 01100001 01110000 01110011

Originally Posted By: DirtDiablo
I quit my job last July, moved to Colorado and now consult out of the house. Most clients require one initial meeting and then mostly email communication and phone. Ride my bike, run or walk whenever I can. Now that the warm weather is here my girlfriend and I ride out bikes to her job abut 13 miles each way as my T/Th morning workout. Drive her to/from the bus stop in town on M,W & F on my way to my morning training trail run.

Considering buying an electric scooter for short errands.

Some major life changes but it is a better way of life. Set my own schedule, salary, and vacation time.

How nice do you smell after you ride your bike to work?
We used to have an executive shower that the higher ups could use. There was also an expensive health club adjacent to our facility that people joined so that if they walked on a hot summer day their business suits (yes, people used to wear suits) wouldn't be all nasty. And yes, people did this before gas was $4/gallon. Parking was $120/month.
We have guys that ride bike to work or they go and work out at lunch time and then they come back without getting a shower. Amazingly most don't smell so they must load up on deoderant when they get back. The one guy used to hang his undies on a coat rack to dry in his office after working out. It was a lovely sight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Them smokestacks reaching like the arms of God into a beautiful sky of soot and clay"

Think a gallon of petrol is expensive?
This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16 oz ?1.29 .. ?10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz ?1.19 .?9.52 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz ?1.25 ...... ?10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz ?3.15 ...... ?33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz E8.35 ... ?178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz ?3.85 . ?123.20 per gallon
Tippex 7 oz ?1.39 ....... . ?5.42 per gallon
And this is the REAL KICKER...
Evian water 9 oz ?1.49..?21.19 per gallon! ?21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source
(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)
You don't even want to compare it with perfume or after shave.
Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?
So they have you hooked for the ink.
Someone calculated the cost of the ink at................
(you won't believe it....but it is true........)
?5,200 a gal.. (five thousand two hundred pounds)
So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, or Tippex, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!
Just a little humour to help ease the pain of your next trip to the petrol pump...
i have a gas scooter that gets 70+ mpg. people say i look funny on it until i tell them that. then they just mumble and nod. plus it goes at least 65MPH without really trying. and I can carry my clubs in my Ping Moonbag. i had to license it, it's a 150cc. i dropped 5 bucks in it this week, most ever to fill it (premium!). i'm almost 2100 miles and about $130 in gas over 2 years. i spent $55 filling my truck last week. mad

Fuck you Bush. good riddance you cocksucker (no offense Deadwood fans).
I just spent $65 filling up my 6 cyl truck. I would love to ride a bike to work, but after 26 miles, I imagine that I would smell as others have commented. (We have no shower facilities in my office.)

I wouldn't mind the scooter/small motorcycle option, except people drive like shit here in Arizona and I think its even more dangerous than when I used to ride back east.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
Dana,
You would not smell after riding a bike. Sure you sweat but as you get in shape it will be less and less. Of course you live in Az where the temp in the morning is 80+. As long as you can change from your cycling gear you should be fine and not offensive.

Originally Posted By: Skipja?k
Think a gallon of petrol is expensive?
This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16 oz ?1.29 .. ?10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz ?1.19 .?9.52 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz ?1.25 ...... ?10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz ?3.15 ...... ?33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz E8.35 ... ?178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz ?3.85 . ?123.20 per gallon
Tippex 7 oz ?1.39 ....... . ?5.42 per gallon
And this is the REAL KICKER...
Evian water 9 oz ?1.49..?21.19 per gallon! ?21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source
(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)
You don't even want to compare it with perfume or after shave.
Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?
So they have you hooked for the ink.
Someone calculated the cost of the ink at................
(you won't believe it....but it is true........)
?5,200 a gal.. (five thousand two hundred pounds)
So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, or Tippex, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!
Just a little humour to help ease the pain of your next trip to the petrol pump...

Expensive items true, but I don't remember the last time I bought 20 gallons of ink, gas on the other hand runs about 5.50 a gallon in my neck of the woods...
A decent pint costs over $5.00 and there is no such thing as having one.

8 pints = 1 gallon ($40/gallon)

I can get a frosty quart jar of beer for $1.75 at the local eagles club $7/gal

fuel was 3.89/ gal last fill up

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory

Kiplinger says oil will drop to around $100 per barrel by christmas but Goldman Sachs says it will be up to around $200 per barrel. Just by the second guy saying that oil spiked over $11 per barrel in one day. The commodities bubble has to burst sometime soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Them smokestacks reaching like the arms of God into a beautiful sky of soot and clay"

Well $4.50/gallon is not enough to make most people change their behaviour so I guess they will try $5.00 then $5.50/gallon.

Less demand is the solution. More supply is the sort sighted bandaid.

Well $4.50/gallon is not enough to make most people change their behaviour so I guess they will try $5.00 then $5.50/gallon.

Taking exchange rate into account, 1 gallon currently is around US$ 7.80 in Central Europe. It does not change people's behaviour.
On a sidenote, charging ? 4.50 for 0.5 l of Carlsberg beer (if it can be called that) does apparently influence football fans' behaviour in Vienna.
The sad thing is that the government is making more on gas than the oil companies. Apparently the oil companies make abot 4 cents per gallon while the government (especially the ones that chage a %) are makign a killing. No wonder congress isn't going to do a damn thing about it.

In Maryland, 42 cents per gallon is going to federal and mostly state government.

01000111 01101111 00100000 01000011 01100001 01110000 01110011

Less demand is the solution. More supply is the sort sighted bandaid.

Agreed. Now's the time to use rising fuel costs to spur people to try other options. We in AZ should be have solar all over but don't. Some builders in CA are writing blanket approval of solar into their condominium declarations.

BTW, on biking to work: I'm concerned about sweat/smell, but the time to bike 26 miles would probably be the killer. And I caught the "when you get in shape" comment ... wink
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
Link copied to your clipboard.