Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stampe posted:
Hazydavo (dmnsg) posted:

That's cool man. May I be so bold and assume you were there??

It's my ticket, so yes  I was one of those who broke Ullevi that night.

Excellent Tell us more. Damage? What else do you remember from that night?

Cheers,

Hazy

--------------------------------------------------------------------

She said last night she read those letters...
And they made her feel one hundred years old...

Google translate from Norwegian. Night 2 did most of the damage, but I guess we paved the way on Night 1 (I was out there on the pitch :-) )

It was going wrong when Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band played "Because the Night" and "Twist and Shout" towards the end of the concert at Nya Ullevi in Gothenburg, June 9, 1985.

The entire stadium began to vibrate, large roofs threatened to fall down, chairs and tables rolled in the offices, and people who stood and washed up in the apartments across the street got the wash water in their lap.

There were damage to building damage for many millions of dollars, and Nya Ullevi was closed for rock concerts for several years afterwards.

...(......).......

Twist and Shout

"The Springsteen concert at Nya Ullevi is a dramatic example of how it can be done if builders and architects do not take due account of the underlying conditions of the building," says Christian Madshus, the vibration expert at NGI (Norges Geotekniske Institut).

He co-hosted an Icelandic student who wrote a doctoral dissertation entitled Rock Music Induced Ground Vibrations after the Springsteen concert, and therefore knows what happened.

"The damage was not due to the fact that Springsteen played particularly high, as many think. The reason was instead that the soft leek under Nya Ullevi was swung. The entire audience got up and started dancing when Springsteen played "Because the Night" and "Twist and Shout".

But so large crowds do not dance properly, because the sound from the stage takes some time to reach the backs of the benchmarks.

"There was a wave movement that first propagated into the camp under Nya Ullevi. The wave then propagated from the ground up to the building again, and the effect was almost as if the stadium was hit by earthquake.

- New Ullevi was not opened again for rock concerts before an underground garage facility was built throughout the stadium, with pilars down to solid mountains far below the track area. Now you can safely dance at Nya Ullevi again, says Madshus.

St. Louis, Missouri

Session Start Date

6-1-1993

Abstract

Two rock concerts were held in the City of Gothenburg, Sweden at Nya Ullevi soccer stadium the summer of 1985. The stadium is founded on driven piles in soft clay. An enthusiastic audience was jumping in time to the songs. Violent vibrations of the suspension wires and in the cantilever roof beams of the structure were observed and damage to the roof and the building itself was detected after the concerts. People on the pitch and inside the stadium building experienced excessive vibrations. Residential buildings 400 m away experienced vibrations. Concerts are at present not permitted at the stadium. The Gothenburg community suffers financially as a result of being unable to arrange concerts such as these. The high vibration level which occurred during some of the songs can be explained by resonance phenomena in the clay deposit. The paper describes the damage to the structure, the experience of people inside and outside the stadium and by the use of calculations arrives at an explanation for the excessive vibrations.

resident posted:

I was on the pitch the first night and the ground shook. I asked a police if it did shake and he said it did. I wasnt sure if it was my legs that was shaking from exhaustion. It was a bit scary but I started jumping again and sing Shake it up baby.....

Thanks for the info Explode

Cheers,

Hazy

--------------------------------------------------------------------

She said last night she read those letters...
And they made her feel one hundred years old...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.